Making Dollars and Sense of Transit Finance is an in-person workshop that aims to accomplish two main learning objectives: that attendees will
- Know and understand the sources of funds for transit and the rules that apply to using those funds for transit projects and programs.
- Know and understand how to make the most effective use of available funds.
The course is divided into several modules. The module content and detail is usually customized, depending on the audience and time allotted for the workshop. A typical list of modules includes:
- How Transit is Funded
- Federal Funding Programs for Transit
- State Funding for Transit (if applicable)
- Local Revenue Sources and Local Match
- Accounting, Budgeting, and Financial Management
- Allocating Costs to Transit Services
- Reporting Financial Data to NTD (and PTN-128, in Texas)
- Transportation Planning and Programming
- Managing Operating Costs
Resources from Previous Deliveries
Below is a list of previous deliveries of the course. Course materials used in each delivery (coursebook, PowerPoints, etc.) are available at the links below.
- March 22-24, 2017: Texas Transit Association Training, Expo, and Roadeo in Lubbox, TX
- July 13-14, 2017: TxDOT Public Transportation Division in Austin, TX
- March 21-23, 2018: Texas Transit Association Conference, Expo, and Roadeo in San Antonio, TX