Transit Mobility Program
Texas A&M Transportation Institute
701 North Post Oak Road, Suite 430
Houston, TX 77024
Phone: (737) 932-1481
Zachary Elgart possesses a Master of Planning degree from the University of Southern California and a Bachelor of Arts in Recreation from California State University, Long Beach. His education focused on the intersection of urban design and transportation planning with an emphasis on active transportation. Zachary is responsible for a diverse range of projects in his role with the Transit Mobility Program. His interests and efforts focus on equity and accessibility, highlighting opportunities for alternative funding, innovative finance, alternative and active transportation, public health, and urban design.
Before joining the Transit Mobility team at TTI, Zachary held a 6-month Transportation Finance Research Fellowship with the Southern California chapter of the Safe Routes to School National Partnership. Prior to his fellowship, he worked as a research assistant for the METRANS Transportation Center at The University of Southern California’s Price School for nearly 2 years.
- Master of Planning, University of Southern California, 2012.
- Bachelor of Arts, Recreation and Leisure Studies, California State University at Long Beach, 2006.
- Member, American Planning Association, Texas Chapter of American Planning Association.
- Member, Young Professionals in Transportation (YPT), Houston Chapter
TTI Tenure / Total Industry Tenure
- 5.5 years
- 7.5 years
- Biking, Walking, and Transit
- Public Policy
- Equity and Accessibility
- Alternative Finance
- Communication and Teambuilding
Selected Projects, Publications, and Presentations
- Elgart, Z. DCTA Title VI Resource Center and Training in Analysis and Project Management. Denton County Transportation Authority. Lewisville, TX. March 2018.
- Elgart, Z. Changing Times: How TNCs Fit in a Multi-Modal Landscape. Association for Commuter Transportation International Conference 2017. New Orleans, LA. August, 2017.
- Elgart, Z., Tan, S., Miller, K, Brooks, J. and Warner, J. Guidebook: Using Public Transportation to Facilitate Last Mile Package Delivery. TxDOT Publication. March 2017.
- Cherrington, L., Brooks, J., Cardenas, J., Coffel, K., Elgart, Z., Galicia, D., Hansen, T., Miller, K., Ryus, P., Semler, C., and, Walk, M. TCRP Research Report 192: Decision-Making Toolbox to Plan and Manage Park-and-Ride Facilities for Public Transportation: Guidebook on Planning and Managing Park-and-Ride (Project H-52). Pending publication. March 2017.
- Elgart, Z. Panel Moderator and Coordinator. Amazing Transit Technology Lightning Round. South West Transit Association (SWTA), Freedom Through Transit Conference. February 2017.
- Elgart, Z., Shipp, E., Cardenas, J., Hansen, T., and Pant, A. Transportation Network Companies Present Opportunities to Increase Safety and Broaden TTI’s Research. Pending publication. August 2016.
- Elgart, Z. Transportation Network Companies and Impaired Riders: Reducing Impaired Driving through Passive Transportation. International Conference on Transport and Health. June 2016.
- Sener, I.N., Lee, R.J., and Elgart, Z. Potential Health Implications and Health Cost Reductions of Transit‑Induced Physical Activity. Journal of Transport and Health. February 2016.
- Cherrington, L.K. and Elgart, Z. Fort Bend County Public Transportation Department, Fare Policies and Practices – Peer Review. P Fort Bend County Public Transportation Department. May 2015.
- Elgart, Z. and Sener, I.N. The Potential for Health Cost Reductions Related to Transit Induced Physical Activity. Poster Presentation, Moving Active Transportation to Higher Ground: Opportunities for Accelerating the Assessment of Health Impacts. April 2015.
- Cherrington, L.K. and Elgart, Z. Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County, Fare Policies and Practices – Peer Review. Prepared for the Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County. April 2015.
- Brooks, J., Elgart Z. Hansen, T. Pappas, M. Commute Solutions Commuter Incentives Survey. Conducted for the Houston-Galveston Area Council. March 2015.
- Cherrington, L.K. and Elgart, Z. Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County, ADA Paratransit Policies and Practices – Peer Review. Prepared for the Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County. February 2015.
- Cherrington, L.K. and Elgart, Z. Student Transportation Policies and Practices – Peer Review. Prepared for the Lamar Consolidated Independent School District. December 2014.
- Cherrington, L.K. and Elgart, Z. Sun Metro Paratransit Peer Comparison and Benchmarking. Prepared for the City of El Paso’s Public Transportation Department, Sun Metro. July 2014.
- Elgart, Z. Game Day Transportation Services: Peer University Experience. Prepared for the Texas A&M Transportation Services Department. April 2014
- Overman, J.H., Storey, B., Kraus, E. Miller, K. Walewski, J. Elgart, S. and Atkinson, S. Maximizing Mitigation Benefits – Making a Difference with Strategic Inter-Resource Agency Planning: Year One Technical Report. Report prepared for the Texas Department of Transportation and the Federal Highway Administration. April 2014.
- Highsmith, M. and Elgart Z. Future Business Scenarios: Transit Provision in Round Rock, Texas. Prepared for the City of Round Rock’s Transit-Public Transportation Division. February 2014.
- Brooks, J. and Elgart, Z. 2013 Texas Public Transportation Resource Inventory. Report prepared for the Texas Department of Transportation Public Transportation Division. December 2013.
- Cherrington, L.K. and Elgart, Z. Metro RideShare Program Cost Analysis. Report prepared for Capital Metropolitan Transportation Authority. August 2013.
- Elgart, Z. Transportation Finance in Los Angeles County: An Overview. Technical Paper. Safe Routes to School National Partnership. February 2013.
- Guiliano, G., Schweitzer, L., Holliday, K. and Elgart, Z. Public Private Partnerships in California – Phase II report, Section V: Institutional Capacity. Report prepared for the California Department of Transportation. August 2012.
- Assistant Research Scientist, Transit Mobility Program, TTI, September 2016 to Present.
- Associate Transportation Researcher, Transit Mobility Program, TTI, April 2013 to August 2016.
- Transportation Finance Research Fellow, Safe Routes to School National Partnership, Los Angeles, CA, July 2012 – April 2013.
- Graduate Research Assistant, METRANS Transportation Center at USC, Los Angeles, CA, March 2011 – August 2012.
- Student Intern, Green LA Coalition, Los Angeles, CA, January 2011 – September 2011.
- Volunteer, Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition, Los Angeles, CA, September 2009 – May 2010.
- Teambuilding and Adventure Facilitator, Santa Barbara Adventure Company (SBACo), Santa Barbara, CA, April 2004 – September 2006.