The Texas A&M Transportation Institute (TTI) works to save lives, time, and resources. TTI is part of the Texas A&M University System and is recognized as one of the premier higher education-affiliated transportation research agencies in the nation. The TTI Transit Mobility Program provides research and technology transfer expertise in all aspects of public transportation planning, management, and operations. Program researchers bring a combination of direct operational skills in all bus, paratransit, and rail modes and nationwide research experience with metropolitan, urban, and rural transit systems. Research projects result in practical, actionable recommendations for enhancing transit access, performance, safety, sustainability, and customer service. Transit Mobility Program researchers are adept at facilitating groups in the development of shared transportation objectives, innovative strategies, and coordinated services and at building professional capacity within the transportation workforce.
- Performance analysis and peer benchmarking.
- Financial analysis and sustainable funding.
- Transportation planning, programming, and project development.
- Transit fleet and fuel assessments and environmental/NEPA planning.
- Transit management, planning, operations, and scheduling.
- Applying technology and innovation to transportation challenges.
- Multimodal transportation and shared mobility.
- Workforce development.
- Transportation equity and accessibility.
- Regional planning and coordination.
- Transit and transportation data analysis.
Performance analysis and peer benchmarking
- Denton County Transportation Authority Cost Efficiency and Effectiveness Peer Review
- Houston METRO On-Time Performance Peer Review
- Texas Transit District Profiles and Performance Dashboard
Financial analysis and sustainable funding
- Sources of Funding Transit in Texas
- NCHRP 20-65 Task 64: Guidebook on Health and Human Services Revenue as Public Transit Local Match
Transportation planning, programming, and project development
- Framework for Implementing Performance Planning for Rural Planning Organizations
- Regional Mobility Authorities in Texas: History and Current Status.
- Effective Project Scoping Practices to Improve On-Time and On-Budget Delivery of Highway Projects
- Strategies to Optimize Real Property Acquisition, Relocation Assistance, and Property Management Practices
- Identifying Transportation Solutions That Promote Healthy Aging for Texans
- Grant Application Technical Support (e.g., BUILD and Lo/No)
Transit fleet and fuel assessments and environmental/NEPA planning
- Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) Electric Bus Implementation
- Implementation and Effectiveness of Sound Mitigation Measures on Texas Highways (HBD 790)
- VIA San Antonio Paratransit Fleet Fuel Alternatives Analysis
Transit management, planning, operations, and scheduling
- TCRP B-44 – Examining the Effects of Separate Non-Emergency Medical Transportation (NEMT) Brokerages on Transportation Coordination
- TCRP Synthesis 134 – Customer-Focused Service Guarantees and Transparency Practice
- TCRP H-52 – Decision-Making Toolbox to Plan and Manage Park-and-Ride Facilities for Public Transportation
- TCRP G-14 – Contracting Commuter Rail Services
- TCRP Synthesis SA-44 – Comprehensive Bus Network Redesign (sub-consultant to Foursquare Integrated Transportation Planning)
- TCRP Synthesis SF-20 – Managing the Transit Scheduling Workforce
- Improving Bus Operator Retention
- Houston METRO – Track Sustainability Impacts to METROLift
- Texas Transit Geospatial Needs Assessment
Applying technology and innovation to transportation challenges
- Automated and Connected Vehicle (AV/CV) Test Bed to Improve Transit, Bicycle, and Pedestrian Safety
- Using Public Transportation to Facilitate Last Mile Package Delivery
- TCRP IDEA T-91 – Comprehensive Wayfinding for All (CWall)
- Analysis of Paratransit Feeder Service Pilot Projected Versus Actual Ridership and Cost–Benefit Results
Multimodal transportation and shared mobility
- Transportation Network Companies Present Opportunities to Increase Safety and Broaden TTI’s Research
- Policy Research Center 17-70 F: Policy Implication of Transportation Network Companies – Final Report
- Car Sharing on University Campuses
- Texas A&M University Campus Transformational Mobility Plan
- Innovative Concepts to Inform First / Last Mile Planning
- National Transit Institute (NTI) Course: Performance Based Planning and Programming
- National Transit Institute (NTI) Course: State and Metropolitan Transportation Programming
- Making Dollars and Sense of Transit Finance Workshop
- Texas Transit Leadership Initiative
- Transit Board Training
- Denton County Transportation Authority Title VI Resource Center and Training in Analysis and Project Management
- Texoma Regional Coordination Plan
- Coastal Bend Regional Coordination Plan
- Statewide Evaluation of Regional Coordination Plans
- Regional Coordination Planning Performance Metrics
Data collection and analysis
- Capital Metro Austin Transit Signal Prioritization Functionality Assessment
- Texas Transit District Profiles and Performance Dashboard
- Data Management Life Cycle
- Overview of Transportation Data
- VIA San Antonio Level of Service Index and Mapping
Current Master Research Agreements and Inter-Agency Contracts
- TxDOT Public Transportation Division, Inter-Agency Contract for Technical Assistance
- Capital Metropolitan Transportation Authority (Capital Metro)
- Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County (Houston METRO)
- Denton County Transportation Authority (DCTA)
- Fort Bend County Transit
- Harris County
- VIA Metropolitan Transit
Awards and Recognition
- TTI Herbert Richardson Team Award for Sound Mitigation Study Team, 2017
- TTI G. Sadler Bridges Senior Researcher Award, 2016
- TTI Gibb Gilchrist Fellowship, 2017
- American Public Transportation Association
- Legislative Committee
- Bus Operations Committee
- Human Resources Committee
- Mobility Management Committee
- Policy and Planning Committee
- Transportation Research Board
- Committee on Paratransit
- Committee on Transit Management and Performance
- Committee on Accessible Transportation and Mobility
- Committee on Emerging and Innovative Public Transport and Tech
- Standing Committee on Bus Transit Systems
- Standing Committee on Management and Productivity
- Standing Committee on Performance Management
- Standing Committee on Transit Capacity and Quality of Service
- Standing Committee on Public Transportation Planning and Development
- Standing Committee on Visualization in Transportation
- Young Professionals in Transportation
- American Institute for Certified Planners (AICP)
- American Planning Association (APA), National and Texas Chapter
- Chinese Overseas Transportation Association
Still want to know more? Great! Feel free to explore our website or contact us.